Friday, March 9, 2007

Taking prisoners: Jon




Why should I be the only one to bare all?

I wanted this blog to be a snapshot of a period of time in my life.

There is nothing more important to me than my friends. So it made perfect sense to video some of my closest friends for this blog. I thought they shouldn't mind. After all, it's not like I'm asking them to pose naked.

I would like to introduce you to Jon, Roo and Chris. Hugh gets a blog entry all of his own. And Anne-Marie should be here but for a cock up with the sound on her interview tape that has rendered her interview silent (I was gutted about this until I discovered some very amusing footage of her Germaine Greer and Sister Wendy Beckett impersonations - proof, as if it were needed, that it's very dangerous to mix vodka with video).

Jon and I have been friends for an astonishing 20 years. We met at school, when we were 15. As I recall, we were introduced through mutual friends and got to know each other better (that is not a euphemism, by the way) during our time in the Sixth Form at Collingwood School in Camberley, Surrey.

Somehow, we've remained friends and stayed in touch throughout all this time.

You might well ask how come Jon is so posh (particularly in comparison with me) considering that we went to the same school. We have no idea. I think he must have attended posh school in the evenings or taken elocution lessons over the summer holidays.

These days, Jon's in publishing and is Director of Reed Media. He is my personal cultural advisor as well as my #1 GBF (gay best friend). As most of my male friends are gay (apart from the straight ones), that's a title worth having (but please don't tell the others that I have a favourite as it'll only lead to 'bitch slapping', me being the bitch that'll get slapped).

No comments: