Friday, March 2, 2007

Aphrodite Kallipygos

Julie's painting is called Classicism


The Goddess of the Beautiful Buttocks.

My bum gets me in trouble. It's size and shape are inherited. My contribution is to stick to a strict diet of chocolate and cakes to ensure its natural beauty is maintained for as long as possible.

Seriously though, like most women, I'm quite happy that my bum is behind me (so I don't have to look at it all the time), and if I could walk with my back pressed against a wall at all times so no-one could see it I'd be very happy.

So imagine how I felt when Melissa revealed that she had painted a portrait of me that was no face and all arse (to be fair, those weren't her exact words... more my interpretation).

I struggled to accept this painting. What woman wouldn't? I have absolutely no argument with the artistic qualities of the piece. I know it is an extremely emotive and sensual image. I'm just a bit uneasy that it's a great big picture of my great big bottom.

When I met up with Melissa at the promotional photo shoot we had a chat about this particular picture.

Melissa told me that she was overjoyed when she met me as it was the first time she'd had a subject to paint who had a curvaceous bum. In the past, she'd had to 'artistically enhance' the bottoms of her slender models as they didn't have the natural, sensuous curves that she was hoping for.

I have to admit that hearing this cheered me up. I'm pleased by the thought that my bum could enjoy a solo career as a 'stunt bottom' for painfully thin supermodel types. Art teachers will encourage the study of my bottom as an example of classically beautiful curves that students should strive to emulate in their own work (I may be getting carried away here).

Melissa told me about Aphrodite Kallipygos, a temple in ancient Greece dedicated to the Greek Goddess of Beauty, Aprhrodite, also known as the Goddess of the Beautiful Buttocks.

According to Psychologist Galdino Pranzarone, Aphrodite Kallipygos "...was probably the only religious building in the world that was dedicated to buttock worship."

Professor Pranzarone also believes that, "the heart symbol that we associate with love is actually based on the shape of female buttocks."

Fancy that.

1 comment:

Natalie Ford said...

Both of the paintings are beautiful. Curves like ours (for I am curvy as well) were once considered the epitomy of beauty (Rubens and so on) until the modern society changed it's mind...