Thursday, March 15, 2007

Great coverage


... in the Peterborough Evening Telegraph.

I live in Peterborough in the county of Cambridgeshire in the UK. Peterborough is approximately 80 miles to the north of London, in a region known as the 'East' also known as the 'East Midlands'.

I moved to Peterborough in June 2002 and I have to say, I love it here. I settled really quickly and have come to love this city in the countryside.

The Peterborough Evening Telegraph is published daily and is read by thousands of people in the region.

I contacted the paper's newsdesk with information about the exhibition and they dropped me an email to say they were very interested in covering 'my story'. I was delighted. I was even more delighted when I read the results.

I won't reproduce the entire article here (I don't own the copyright for one thing) because much of what's covered reflects the essence of what's right here in this blog. But you can read the full article, entitled 'The sensual way to deal with MS' on the Peterborough Evening Telegraph website.

The piece takes a really interesting angle on women, MS and sexuality. This is due entirely to the feature's writer, Jemma Walton, who read the blog from start to end and interviewed me for two hours to get a better, fuller sense of why I became involved in this project.
Our conversation was really interesting for me. Jemma asked me a number of challenging questions about my relationship with my body.

As a result, the piece that was published in the paper is a celebration of femininity and strength, which is exactly what this blog and Melissa's paintings are all about.

The feature is spread over two pages, making it really eye-catching. I hope that people who don't have MS and don't know anything about it will read the piece and find it thought-provoking. I also hope that women with MS in the Peterborough area, who maybe haven't met other women with MS before, will take some comfort in reading my story.
Although MS affects us all differently, there is always some common ground and I know that hearing about the lives of other women like me has often given me encouragement as well as new ideas.

2 comments:

ZenZenPup said...

Dear Julie,

Perfection is a myth. Yet, beauty lives in the eye and memory of the beholder...

You should be proud of your beauty. The painting of you is sweet, tender and far more than just an image. It is treasure of a moment of time and I love it.

ZenZenPup said...

Julie,

You are a beautiful woman and the paintings of you are far more than art, they are works of the spirit. So much remains hidden for the sake of propriety, yet you've given a very personal glimpse of a woman who few people see and understand.

MS may be part of your life, but it has not altered your spirit.