Saturday, March 3, 2007

Ready for my close-up



Saints Rugby Stadium, Wednesday 28th February 2007

We're keen to get as much publicity for the exhibition as possible, so we all got together - the models, the artist, the MS Society, the sponsors - for a photo shoot at the rugby stadium in Northampton.

This was the first time I met the other models, Tracey (39) and Alice (24).

MS affects everyone very differently. Alice and Tracey will tell their own stories in their own way.

Alice was diagnosed at 18. She's a statuesque beauty at 6 feet tall. She was runner-up in this year's Miss Wales competition, and winner in the 'best legs' category (Alice admits the irony of this, considering the way MS affect her legs at times - there's triumph over this stupid condition for you!).

Tracey is married with two young children. Like me, MS is 'in her family'. It is thanks to Tracey (and her husband Greg) that I got the opportunity to be painted by Melissa. Greg commissioned Melissa to produce the paintings after admiring her work. He had long wanted a portrait of Tracey, and thanks to his generous nature Alice and I were also invited to be involved.

Melissa's portrait of Tracey holding her legs with forehead touching her knees is the focal point of the exhibition. It's a beautiful, empowering image as you will see, and I know that Tracey and Greg are thrilled with it.

Alice's picture is also absolutely gorgeous.

There are two paintings of me. One of my face in repose, and a full-length portrait from behind. Both paintings provoke strong emotional reactions from the people I've shown them too so far. I love this... it's precisely why I became involved in this project.

So on 28th February, we all met up and had our pictures taken, together and individually, along with our paintings.

It was lovely to see Melissa again. She took time to explain to me the different treatments and techniques used to create the two portraits of me and I was reminded again of how very lucky I am to have been painted by Melissa.

Our fabulous photographer was Barry from Bread & Shutter.


We shot some video at the photo shoot and set it to music. The track is 'Sungrazer' by Thirsty, a band that features my friend Roo on guitar and vocals. Many thanks to Thirsty for their kind permission to use the track! If you'd like to get in touch with Roo and the band you can reach them at thepitcanary@hotmail.com.

No comments: